Category Archives: Schools

Black Point School – Class Photo 1879

Black Point School – Class Photo 1879  Front Row left to right: Leon Harmon, Dorothy Libby, Anna Lee, Jennie Harmon, Laura Prichard, Teacher Theresa Libby,  Lucy Lee,  Arlene Harmon, Nellie Harmon, Della Carter, Raymond Brown. Second Row:  Ora Bucky, Dollie Carter,  Isa Googins,  Florence … Continue reading

Posted in Black Point, Schools, Students and Teachers | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Black Point School – Class Photo 1879

Oak Hill School (Original)

This original Oak Hill School was also called The Longfellow School by many older residents. This picture was taken the last day of school, June 23, 1905. It is now part of the Nickerson House located on Route 1 across … Continue reading

Posted in Oak Hill, Schools | Comments Off on Oak Hill School (Original)

Beech Ridge School

This school building is still located just west of the intersection of Holmes Road and Beech Ridge Road. It was discontinued in 1947. At that time it was sold to the Beech Ridge Association for $1.00.

Posted in Schools | Comments Off on Beech Ridge School

Libby School, Scarborough, ca. 1959

This school was built in 1876 and discontinued in 1959. It had been named for the resident families living in that area. It was a one room school. However, one year the participation of 59 students caused a need to … Continue reading

Posted in Schools | Comments Off on Libby School, Scarborough, ca. 1959

Hunnewell House, ca. 1950

By 1647, the Massachusetts Bay Colony Court passed a law requiring settlements in the colony to support a school if their numbers of settlers was one hundred or more. In 1751, the town raised money to support a school. By … Continue reading

Posted in Black Point, Schools | Tagged | Comments Off on Hunnewell House, ca. 1950

Bessey School

“In the mid 1920’s, the ever growing population in Scarborough created the need for a new high school. The school is shown under construction in 1926. It became known simply as Scarborough High School until 1954, when it was renamed for … Continue reading

Posted in Oak Hill, Schools | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Bessey School

Dunstan School (Built 1944)

This was the last Dunstan area school built, it was dedicated in 1944. This brick building replaced the smaller wooden one built in 1923. The school was built during the early years of World War II and was closed in … Continue reading

Posted in Dunstan, Schools | Tagged | Comments Off on Dunstan School (Built 1944)

Second Blue Point School

Although a one room school, the second Blue Point Schoolhouse contained two stories, was dedicated in 1926 and was in operation until 1946. At that time, it was described as thoroughly modern having electric lights. It was discontinued in 1964. … Continue reading

Posted in Blue Point, Schools | Comments Off on Second Blue Point School

Dunstan School (Built 1923)

This school was built by Earl Leary about 1923. It had two classrooms and a stage where the kindergarten students met. It served the Dunstan area until the 1940s when a larger building was needed. It was torn down in … Continue reading

Posted in Dunstan, Schools | Tagged , | Comments Off on Dunstan School (Built 1923)

The White School

Commonly called the White School, because of its color, this building was erected in 1905 at Oak Hill four corners. It was the first school specifically built for High School classes. Originally grammar school classes were held on the first … Continue reading

Posted in Oak Hill, Schools | Tagged , | Comments Off on The White School