By 1647, the Massachusetts Bay Colony Court passed a law requiring settlements in the colony to support a school if their numbers of settlers was one hundred or more. In 1751, the town raised money to support a school. By 1752, Mr. Roger Hunnewell was paid four shillings if his house could be used as a school. It continued to be a home for many years after, also.
This house is believed to be Scarborough’s oldest dwelling. It was either built by Captain Hunnewell or one of his descendants (ca. 1600s – early 1700s). It had been moved to its present location on the Black Point Road, from across the road, as our nation celebrated the bicentennial of our country in 1976. The house is now kept up as one of the town’s facilities. The Scarborough Garden Club maintains the flowers and keeps the outside looking well.